Having certified the Quality Management System(QMS), Kisii University is now ISO 9001:2008 certified. SGS is the certifying body that granted the university Quality Management System Excellence Certification. Read more...
|Rules and Regulations|
The concept of rules and regulations is to facilitate equitable access and use as well as care of the library Information materials necessitating an element of fines. Hence, the library issues to each registered user a copy of the rules and regulations.
(a) Library Registration
The library registers new users at the beginning of every academic year. However due to intakes at various times throughout the academic year the library registers users at the beginning of every semester. The users fill in a form and records are entered into the library database.
KSU registered students pay Ksh.2000 per trimester
(b) Library Guidelines
All the information materials on the library’s open shelves are for borrowing.
All users of KSU library are required to register by completing membership forms. Information materials are borrowed for a specific period.
· Borrowed information materials must be handled with care.
· Writing, defacing or damaging information materials is prohibited.
· The library reserves the right to cancel membership of a user on the basis of misconduct.
· Smoking, eating and drinking are not allowed in the library.
· Briefcases, large bags, hats (kofias) and parcels must be deposited at the luggage area.
· Silence must be maintained in the library all the time. Issue desk is open for lending from 9.00am to allow library staff to shelve information materials used the previous night and for the library to be cleaned.
· Lending information materials closes at 8.00pm to allow library staff to wind-up evening service.
Loan procedures must be properly completed before library information materials are taken out of the library. Users will be informed when reserved information materials are available and must be collected within 24 hours of the notice.
(c) Lending regulations
· Unregistered members of KSU library are not entitled to borrowing facilities.
· Borrowed information materials not returned on due date will receive two reminder notices within a specified period of two weeks each. Thereafter a demand letter by the university Librarian will be sent before the case is reported to the principal for appropriate disciplinary action.
· Lost borrowers tickets will be replaced at a fee of Ksh.100 per ticket.
· Users who inconvenience others in any way while in the library will not be allowed in the library at all.
· Unauthorized borrowing of library information materials will be treated as theft, punishment of which will be determined by the University Librarian.
· Information materials borrowed on regular loan and not returned on due date will be charged Ksh.10 per day per item.
· Information materials borrowed from the short loan and not returned on due date will be fined Kshs.20 for the first hour and Ksh.10 for every subsequent hour.
(d) Recall of Information Materials on Loan
The university Librarian may recall any information material on loan from a borrower by notice which shall specify return of the same within three days. Immediate recall may be made in the case of inter-library loan or in other special circumstances.
(e) Renewal of borrowed Information Materials
· All information materials borrowed from the library may be renewed for a further two weeks period provided that such information materials have not been reserved by another user.
· Application for such renewals should be made either personally, by post, telephone or e-mail.
· If however, the loan period has already expired, then the renewal will be granted ONLY on personal application by the borrower, provided that any fine incurred is paid.
Note: Information materials on loan which are overdue cannot be renewed. Renewal is made ONLY ONCE.
i. Users may request for information materials to be reserved, if and when such required information material has been borrowed by other users. Information materials on reserve request will be lent on first come first served basis.
ii. Users will be informed when reserved information materials are available and must be collected within 24hours of the notice.
These rules are made to promote and ensure a conducive library environment for study and research.
1. Only members of KSU are allowed to use and borrow library materials.
2. Please maintain quiet study and acceptable behavior in the library.
3. Please do not eat, drink, smoke, sleep or wear hats in the library.
4. Materials borrowed must be returned promptly.
5. Briefcases, bags and overcoats should not be brought in the library otherwise they will be subjected to inspection.
6. All persons leaving the library must declare materials in their possession at the exit.
7. Please do not reshelf books you have used, just leave them on the tables, carrels or sorting racks.
8. Books found lying on carrels and tables unattended for more than thirty minutes will be removed without notice.
9. Marks or defaces made on library materials are prohibited.
10. Library materials will be issued on the production of a reader’s ticket and identification card.
11. It is a serious offense to use or impersonate other readers.
12. Reference and short loan materials are to be used only within the library.
13. The Librarian has authority to withdraw permission for use of the library from any member who has shown disregard of the rules and regulations.
14. Use of mobile phones in the library is strictly prohibited, switch off or activate the vibration mode only.
15. Reservation/booking of reading carrels is not allowed.
16. Graffiti-writing on the walls, carrel, table and washrooms are prohibited.
17. List of ‘‘shame’’ for offenders will be posted and disciplinary measures will be taken against such offenders.